When we’re undertaking a major refurbishment, there is always a stage when things are a lot more chaotic than when we started.
Although that can be stressful, we know that the gains will be worth it, so we press on through. eventually, we get to enjoy the rewards.
All major life changes work the same way.
- When we over-hall your emotional cupboards, things tend to get a messy before we get things straight again.
- When we start eating more healthily, we often go through a phase when our bodies crave for the bad stuff.
- When our spiritual focus shifts, we can find that life seems topsy-turvy for a while.
So, how do we handle these experiences?
- Prepare for the messy patches.
- Don’t try to sort out too much all at once. Take small steps.
- Persevere with the change.
- Remember that the messy patch won’t last forever.
- Recognise that we’re not just dealing with surface issues in your life, but dealing with something deeper.
- Don’t pretend that nothing is going on.
- Look to others for support.
- Accept other people’s reaction. They may not understand why we seem stressed, but that doesn’t invalidate the way that we feel.
- Keep our eyes on the goal. Press on through the rough patches.
- Encourage others who are going through a similar thing.
- Look after ourselves. Don’t ignore the basics.
Above all, we don’t give up on ourselves.